top of page

A Story of Self Empowerment: The Freebirth story of Aspyn Elizabeth-Grace

When I met Yasmine I quickly felt a connection. Doula work is directly tied to energy work. I knew with my whole body I wanted to work with her. I think one of the reasons was because, she is only a few months older than my first born. I have a special place for Gen Z in my heart. Though, feeling a maternal feeling I felt compile to be more direct with my doula approach while presenting her options. At times I tend to be "here's the info and you make your decision". But, Yasmine already knew what she wanted and what she wanted from me. What a beautiful journey it was! Here Ill give you a glimpse on my perspective on this amazing birth story of self empowerment.

Yasmine is the oldest of eight siblings and has witness her youngest be born at home. With one of them being an unplanned unassisted birth. Every time she talked to me about her experience and presence at her siblings birth it was with such joy and excitement. The way she holds being the first one to hold one of them besides mom its deeply engraved in her. My job is not to convince anyone of anything. But she was convinced she wanted this. Homebirth was part of her, part of her innate knowing. Homebirth is where my heart lies and I was really hoping this for her as well. Some women just know. This was her. She didn't need all the childbirth classes and preparation. She simply trusted. Trusted birth, the process, her body. It was so beautiful to me how this young couple had so much trust in each other. Her husband didn't say much at our prenatals but he always reassure her he trusted her. It was ultimately her decision! There's so much to learn from these two.

Yasmine kept going back and forth about where ultimately she would give birth. I believe this where we all should be while planning a homebirth. Not having a set expectation but being flexible. Because ultimately birth will take its own course. Part of me believe going back and forth came from her provider instilling fear and not necessarily hers. Her doctor wanted to induced her because she was dilated to 3cm and 80% effaced he "could speed things along" and insisting she would need to be put on Pitocin. She really didn't feel like putting herself through those final appointments anymore. She knew what her heart desire but was flexible. She understood if need be, she would go to the hospital. During our final prenatal meeting we talk about the plan one more time. Addressing as well her low iron levels I made sure she knew her alternatives, risks and following her intuition. Eventually, the decision was to labor at home and transferred to our local birthing friendly hospital twenty minutes away and not go to the hospital where her OBGYN has rights at, which is ten minutes away if there was a need. They had their bags pack by the door. Where they remained.